WHO: a group of like-minded people in the Keys who want to proclaim and share the Gospel of Jesus Christ in word and deed. We are part of the ECO Presbyterian denomination (for more information please click here ECO-Pres)
WHAT: A Presbyterian Church in the Keys with Scottish name [defined below]. It’s just a name, we are not all Scottish, just a bunch of nice folks in the Keys who enjoy worshiping in a warm, caring place.
noun Scottish & N. English
1 a church.
2 ( the Kirk or the Kirk of Scotland) the Church of Scotland as distinct from the Church of England or from the Episcopal Church in Scotland.
ORIGIN Middle English : from Old Norse kirkja, from Old English cirice (see church )
A history of The Presbyterian Kirk of the Keys
In July of 1958 The Mobile Ministries Department of the Presbyterian board of National Missions began work in the Florida Keys with Dr. David Robert Hutchinson as its missionary. This would lay the foundation for what would become The Kirk of the Keys.
On November 1, 1958, Divine Worship was conducted for the first time in Marathon at the Marathon Theater. George Hoover, the owner of the theater, gave free use for the next five years as the congregation continued to grow.
In November of 1959 the Southeast Presbytery organized the Kirk of the Keys with 77 charter members and 4 covenant members. July 27, 1960 the purchase of the present site was authorized by the congregation. Two adjacent lots were donated by Sam and Max Brown. The congregation also voted to buy the adjoining house as a Kirk House.
In March of 1962, $40,976 was pledged for church construction. August 16, 1962, ground breaking ceremonies were held at the site. Construction was begun on October 12th, 1962 and completed on May 13, 1963 at a cost of $73,124.90.
The first service in the building was conducted May 26th, 1963 by Rev. Glenwood Gronin of the Trinity Church of Key West.
WHERE: We worship in the “A” framed building filled with acceptance with and luminated by stained glass [and the grace of God]. Located at about mile marker 51.5 in Marathon, FL across the highway from the Fire Station at the Marathon Airport.